Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sweet Moments--Finley Edition...


The purpose of my blog is for me to never forget the joy that my three girls give me. I want them to read back over these entries someday and KNOW that they brought me the most joy in my life that I could have ever imagined. Because...well..I am sure if you saw me on a day to day basis these days, I have to remind myself to be joyful. The monotony of the day to day life with young ones, the over looming cloud of change just above us, and physical exhaustion can be overwhelming at times. I need to remind myself to stop...and to savor the sweet moments...
Hence...Sweet Moments--This one is Finley edition...
Finley was sitting with me at church this week. She was tired. It was a cloudy, gloomy, rainy day, and she didn't want anything to do with Sunday School. I wasn't going to push it. Plus, I was yearning to cuddle with my 2nd born throughout the service. It's not very often where she will sit still in my lap. I could feel Finley taking everything in. The sounds of worship. The beating of the drums. The clapping of hands. And most importantly, the warmth of her Momma's arms embracing her without any other competition. I was soaking it in. Throughout the sermon, she was starting to get restless and wanted to sit in the chair next to me. As she got down, she was carefully observing all the other people around us. Couples young and old sitting next to each other, carefully listening to what God may have them hear. Some with arms around each other. Other's tending to their babies. After Finley got settled in her seat for some time, I got absorbed in the sermon. In my own thoughts. Soon I felt a tiny warmth go across my back. It was Finley's arm. She was putting her arm around me...just like those around us. Pretty soon she started patting my back as well. Such a precious feeling for a Momma. Seeing a way a child learns and processes. Seeing the others do this around us, Finley knew this was a symbol of love and adoration for the other. Oh, how I ate up this sweet sweet moment.
Then today, Finley woke up. Her unruly hair stumbled into my bathroom as I was getting ready.
"Hey baby! How did you sleep last night?" I asked.
She replied, "well..not good. I had a bad dream."
"You did? What was it about?" I pondered. Very concerned as she usually gets me up if she had a bad dream!
"Well..I dreamed that you didn't give me a hug...."
Break.my.heart. That poor baby did have a bad dream! I assured her that I indeed gave her a hug in her sleep as I do every night. But just to think that a mother's touch can have such profound effect on those little ones. Today..she has been getting some extra extra hugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment