Sunday, September 19, 2010

An Apple a Day....

So unlike a lot of folk, those great homemakers I know you all are, I tend to not be as domestic as the "common homemaker". Yes, I do make my own bread and I love to bake...but I don't garden, don't cook gourmet meals, don't iron, and don't dust. And I already admitted I don't like to clean. Well, this weekend I wanted to do something I have never done before--attempt to make applesauce. Now..this may be a no brainer to make for most of you, but for me...it was a new adventure. A new experience. My friend in Virginia inspired me. She served us one evening before we moved this delicious pink applesauce. I have been craving it ever since. So since fall is right around the corner, and my husband has been begging to go to the apple orchard..I happily obliged.

We woke up Saturday morning to lightning and pouring rain. The ordinary person would just assume we would have to cancel our little morning trip. But nooooo, my lovely husband was bound and determined that we would still go. Whether we got soaked or not, we were going to get those apples. He was determined we were "hardcore"---(no apple pun intended).


So I got my apples. I thought I would share with you our little adventure in applesauce making.

Off to the Orchard we went. This is the only picture I got of us at the orchard because of the rain. I think we were the only people there besides the workers. HA! We did get some good apple cider donuts though! For me that was worth the trip and getting wet! :)



The Farmer in the Dell..The Farmer in the Dell...Hi HO the Apple O the Farmers in the Dell...


We got our Apples. I got 10 pounds of Cortland Apples. I wanted to get pink applesauce and this is what my friend used.




Next we sliced the apples. No need to peel them!



Threw them in a pot with a little water....and cooked over medium high heat. Does it ever make your house smell like fall!!



The Peels come right off as you cook them. We let the apples cook down until they were really mushy!




And then with a potato masher...we mashed the heck out of those apples. That was fun! :) It took out a lot of my frustration...a good stress reliever! :)





And voila...PINK applesauce with no food coloring...(it really is not as chunky as it looks in this picture...)



I had visions of applesauce making all day. So I got my tupperware containers, I got all my apples. I had visions of gift giving of pink applesauce for Christmas, new neighbor gifts, and a year supply of my own family's consumption. Ummm...look what 10 pounds of apples made me.... Umm...applesauce making is soooooo overrated.....


1 comment:

  1. wow... not a lot of applesauce for 10lbs of apples! I have never attempted to make applesauce, but it sure looks yummy!! - - LOVE LOVE LOVE the last photo!! :)

    ReplyDelete