Friday, May 14, 2010

To my 6 Year Old...


To My Precious Firstborn on her 6th Birthday,


It is almost 6 years on the dot that you were born as I write this. I wasn't a Mommy until 10:40pm on May 14th when a precious baby girl was placed into my arms. My heart would never be the same again. My heart never knew how much joy could it hold. Holding you in my arms, 6 years ago was one of the best things I have ever experienced in my life. You made me a Mommy. You changed me. You changed me into something I had always dreamed of....a Mommy, a caretaker, a nurturer.
I am so proud of who God is making YOU. And I remember His promise, "That He who began a good work in you, will finish it until completion!" What a great promise as I watch you grow up. You are the sweetest child I think a mother could have. Today as I was making your birthday cake, you came up to me and said something along the lines of, "Mommy, thank you for working so hard to make my birthday so special and making my cake so cool!" Wow...that comment made all the sweat and stress I had over that cake so worth it.

You are always so quick to help me. This year has been a huge year of transition. You transitioned from preschool to kindergarten. Going to school all day was a huge change for you. And for Mommy. Oh, how Mommy misses being with you all day. Then you transitioned into being a big sister again when Harper was born. Wow...have you ever been a God send to Mommy during that transition for Mommy. You were complete and utter JOY and helpfulness to me as I was adjusting to having a new baby in the house. I couldn't have gotten through it without you. God used YOU in my life for this, Reese Elizabeth. Thank you for filling my heart with joy and encouragement during this time for Mommy. Wow...who knew God would use a then 5 year old:) And then you went through the transition of moving...and then going to a new school. This was by far the hardest for you. Adjusting to the new school was hard...and it was so hard for Mommy to watch. But things quickly have changed...and now I see you once again thriving at school. I see the other kids asking to play with you at recess and my heart soars. They are beginning to see the Reese that I know. The Reese with the alluring personality, the contagious laugh, and the compassion for others.

This year you have learned so many new things. One of the biggest things you have learned is to read. I love listening to you read and see you developing a love of reading. It is amazing to me how fast you learn! You are also learning equations. Just think...at the beginning of the school year you didn't even know how to count to 100 by yourself. Now...well...that is a piece of cake. And then, even more important to Mommy, you have learned a lot of Bible verses and finished your first Awana book!! Learning God's Word is the most important thing that you could memorize and apply to your life. I love to see how excited you are about learning your verses and going to Awana. God will use this wisdom you learn in your life Reese. It is a testimony to you Mommy...I need to memorize more!

Happy Birthday my sweet Reesie Piecey. You mean the world to me. I am so proud of you and can't wait to see what this next year brings...and how my joy will even increase with you in my life! :) I love you!!


Love,


Mommy





1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet Sarah! :) Happy 6th Birthday Reese!!! What a beautiful girl she is! She is just so stunning! :) Your letter to her brought tears to my eyes... as I can now relate to what you mean when you say the word "Mommy." And as you described holding her for the first time. I would agree that being a mommy is one of the coolest things in the world! Hope you had a fabulous day with your 6 year old!!! :)

    ReplyDelete